I get acupuncture about once per month, sometimes more frequently if there's something specific I want to address. I love when I open up my calendar and see my acupuncture appointment scheduled because I know a reset is coming. I'm typically a great sleeper, my energy is usually good and my ability to mentally process things in a healthy manner feels solid, yet by the time my monthly acupuncture appointment rolls around, I'm very grateful that the neck/shoulder tension that's building and the dip in energy I'm beginning to feel are about to be resolved.
Acupuncture is a wonderful tool for treating so many conditions, but it's also amazing for maintaining optimal health. Stress has such a significant impact on our health, and there are so many things to be stressed about these days - job demands, family issues, environmental changes, world conflicts, etc. Over time, these stressors can cause symptoms to arise that can impact your quality of life. Getting monthly acupuncture treatments is a great option for relieving the effects from stress.
Additionally, there are a number of health benefits from receiving acupuncture monthly.
1. Supporting Immune Health. Acupuncture is excellent for supporting the immune system. Treatments can improve lymphatic flow, which helps the immune system fight infections and resolve inflammation.
2. Improving Sleep Quality. Regular acupuncture treatments can make it easier to fall asleep at night and stay asleep. Research has shown that acupuncture can improve sleep quality as well as sleep duration.
3. Boosting Energy. Dips in energy during the day and the general malaise that some experience from chronic stress are commonly symptoms patients report. Regular acupuncture treatments can help maintain consistent energy throughout the day.
4. Supporting Digestive Health. Stress greatly affects the digestive system, leading to symptoms such as bloating, constipation, diarrhea and acid reflux. Acupuncture can ease these symptoms. Generally when the digestive system functions well patients feel really well.
5. Easing Tension. Whether it's from sitting for extended periods of time or from chronic stress, tension often builds in the body. Many patients report tension in their neck, upper back and lower back. Additionally, device usage has led to tension in muscles that are difficult to alleviate with self care like stretching and self massage. Regular acupuncture can not only ease this tension but over time it can prevent these areas from becoming tense.
6. Improving Mental Processing. In Chinese medicine, the mind and body are not seen as separate. Acupuncture treatments can help deepen the breath and slow down the heart rate, which along with easing tension in the body can also allow space for patients for mental processing and improving mental clarity.
7. Spotting Red Flags. Fortunately this has not happened often, but there have been a few instances where patients have presented with concerning symptoms that required further medical attention, and thanks to that intervention, their lives have been saved. There is a lot of value in seeing the same health care provider monthly and having the same set of eyes on your health so that any changes can be spotted.